Click Here for My Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Mother's Day

Ok so here's the deal...I'm terrible with remembering things! You can ask anyone that knows me, if I don't write it down, I totally lose it! I have been planning on writing the sweetest, most heartfelt Mother's Day post for about 2 weeks.  But as I stated above, I forgot to write it down.  So on Sunday (which was Mother's Day) I woke up, went to church, fixed some food (I will get to that later) and went to my cousin's house for a MD lunch.  As soon as I walked into her house, the thought washed all over me...the blog...my post...my mother! So for my mother reading this, I'm sorry, all of the things said below were meant to be read on Monday, not Tuesday after the fact!

When you look up mother in the dictionary, you find a few things. One: a female parent; two: a woman in authority.  How can such a simple definition really describe what a mother is? Well I'll tell you, it can't! My mother is so much more than that! But looking at the definition I will attempt to do what so many teachers taught me years ago...read between the lines.  Female parent: that she was, or is.  When my dad didn't want to get his hands dirty because he loved me too much, my mother loved me enough to discipline me.  Because of that I am pretty well adjusted, follow the rules (most of the time), and know that when I have children I will instill the same values in them.  She was a parent in the sense that I knew she would take care of me, no matter what, and love me just the same (and trust me, there were times where I'm sure she didn't want to love me). She was the woman in authority! If you know my family, then you know this is true.  However, she gets a bad wrap because as head strong as she is, my dad pretty much has her right where he wants her! Ha!

Like I said, the definition is missing a lot.  Ally, supporter, healer, know-it-all, nurse, psychiatrist, homework Nazi,  money tree, kind hearted, and most importantly best friend.  My mother is awesome.  Just imagine how awesome I am, and double it! All of my humor, wit, and sarcasticness (that's not a word, I know!) comes from her.  She is funny and sweet, sentimental and true.  She is a mother and no definition can describe what mothers truly mean to each and every one of us.  So, albeit late, happy Mother's Day to one of the best mothers in the world!!!


Now, here is something that I am super proud of...but first I must tell you why! When my cousin asked me to bring a veggie and dessert to Mother's Day lunch I of course said yes. But when I hung up the phone, my mind went into a whirlwind.  As my husband says, I tend to turn everything into a project, and I love to bake.  So....dessert became a project.  I found a wonderful recipe for Pink Lemonade Cake from Better Homes and Gardens magazine.  The cake was on the front of the mag so I knew that this was going to be a show stopper! I worked so hard on making it exactly like the directions said and got great use out of my Kitchen Aid mixer!! But as I put the last of the the frosting (which was to die for) on the cake, I knew something was missing.  I got out my piping bag, tinted the icing pink, and went to town.  I have to say, the cake looked good...but it looked like I was announcing that I was having a baby girl...
That's right, ooh and ahh at this wonderful masterpiece! I am available for all baby showers! So yes, the cake was a show stopper, but not in the way I wanted it to be.  "Happy Mother's Day mom, here is the cake I slaved over....what....no I'm not pregnant...don't cry!" Yeah just another moment where I have let my family down by my lack of progress in the baby department!

You wanna know what the real show stopper was though, my green beans.  I don't have a picture of them, but imagine a casserole dish filled with green beans and sprinkles of bacon on top!!! I'm giving you the recipe so you can be a show stopper too!!!

Arkansas Green Beans
5 cans of green beans
1/4 cup of Butter
3/4 cup of Brown Sugar
7 tablespoons of Soy Sauce (I use the green kind, less sodium)
1 1/2 tablespoon of Garlic Powder
5-10 slices of Bacon, cooked and crumbled

Preheat oven to 340 degrees.
Cook your bacon. I used 5 pieces and it was plenty, but you can never go wrong with more bacon!!!
Drain and wash your green beans. I drain them and then run water into the can twice and drain that.
Empty green beans into casserole dish and spread crumbled bacon on top.
Melt your butter in a separate bowl, mix the brown sugar, soy sauce, and garlic powder together.  This mixture should be slightly thick.  I had to spoon it over my beans, but I'm particular.
Cook your beans, uncovered, for 40 minutes. 

These will make you want to slap yo momma, but I didn't since it was Mother's Day

Again, happy late Mother's Day to all of the mothers, aunts, grandmothers, cousins, friends, and ladies out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment