Click Here for My Pages

Thursday, April 13, 2017

Jesus is my Homey

Have you ever noticed that if you change one letter in a word, it completely changes the meaning. There is a huge difference between having a cola and having a coma. I mean we can plan to have a cola! Or even saying, "I love the rain." or "I love the pain". Completely different! And I bet, if you went outside right now and said I love the pain, someone would swoop in and call special services for you!
But in all seriousness, changing a letter can change how you view something. I was reminded of this by my sweet 3 year old. I am the Cherub Choir director at my church. This means that I teach 2-5 year old children a little bible lesson and songs. When I took the job...well volunteer position, I decided that the kids needed to learn the basics. You know, the songs that we learned when we were little. "Jesus Loves Me", "Joy, Joy, Joy", "Jesus Loves the Little Children", etc. While the kids love these songs, you can only sing them 100 times before you start looking for new material. I noticed that before my little cherubs left for Children's Church each Sunday morning, we would sing "Gloria Patri". This is an easy little song and could make the kids feel included. I began teaching it in January. Now remember, these are 2-5 year olds, they can't take too much for too long of a time. But by Spring Break they had it. I would look around during service and notice that they were singing. I was also told by my daughter that "Glory be to the Pather" was her favorite song.

To get to the point, and for those of you who don't know this song, here are the words:

Glory be to the Father
And to the Son
And to the Holy Ghost
As it was in the beginning
Is now and ever shall be
World without end
Amen, Amen

Harper sings the song, but instead of saying Holy Ghost, she says Homey Ghost. I've tried to correct her (even though it sounds so sweet), but she insists that it's Homey Ghost. This got me when I least expected it. You know what...it should be homey ghost! This slang word has been used to mean friend/pal. And when you think about it, Jesus should be our homey!

Do you treat Jesus/God as your friend and companion, or do you think of Him as someone who has the power to help you or not help you. If you think of Him in the later, please let me help you to realize that he is your forever friend. He will still be there with you, even when the world has let you down. He will strengthen you and guide you, if you just listen.

John 15: 13-17 says:
Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. These things I command you, so that you will love one another.

Do you hear this, I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit.  Jesus chose us! We are his friends and he will help us get what we need. He will make sure that we are taken care of and loved. This gives me so much peace. I know that everything I have ever wanted may have not been in God's plan, but everything I have ever needed, He has provided.

I have amazing friends! I mean the best friends in the whole world. I truly believe that God placed each of them in my life for a reason. And you know what else, that's what friends do. They give you what you need, when you need it. Guess who else does this...GOD! Lay your burdens at his feet and know that he will take care of you! Who else would give up their life, so that you could live? That sounds like an amazing friend and homey!

Here is the video of my sweet girl singing Glory be to the Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment